It’s that time of the year. Despite being shut in by crazy winter weather, bloggers, writers and journalists get lazy around the holidays and start churning out the lists. Being 2012, the hot trend this year is to make your list a clean dozen. Now, I’m normally not one to follow the crowd, but with a hectic holiday schedule I took the easy way out. It might be a cop-out, but it’s actually a great way to remind you all of some phenomenal blog posts and articles from the past year. With the deluge of content filling the web each day, there’s a good chance you missed some of these.
Without further ado (and in no particular order), here are my picks for the top 12 marketing articles of 2012:
- The 5 things that will derail your marketing in 2012 by Drew McLellan – While 2012 is coming to an end, avoiding this list of marketing blunders is equally important in 2013.
- Keep it simple: a new mandate for marketing by Jonathon Gardner – When it comes to marketing, follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
- The Best Times to Tweet and Post to Facebook by Courtney Rubin – Knowing the best times to interact on social media can turn your Twitter and Facebook pages into hubs of conversation.
- 22 Ways to Create Compelling Content When You Don’t Have a Clue by Brian Clark – This year we were introduced to the infographic, a cool, new way to turn boring data or content into something visually appealing and fun to read. This one shows you that quality content (even this particular infographic) can come from anywhere.
- 21 Types of Content We Crave by Scott Aughtmon – In another excellent infographic, the folks at Content Marketing Institute share the types of content that resonate most with readers.
- The best way to learn marketing by Seth Godin – So simple. So true.
- Never become an expert by Stan Lee – Another short and sweet post with a powerful message.
- Should You Hire, or Contract, Your Marketing Team? by Ray Grainger – To hire or contract (your marketing department). That is the question (for small businesses). Choose your own adventure to find the answer with this infographic.
- How to Create a Winning Email Marketing Campaign by Colleen Corkery – Noticing a trend? Hint: it’s another infographic. Five simple steps to email marketing success.
- 9 Beliefs of Remarkably Successful People by Jeff Haden – Believing in yourself is half the battle. These beliefs are shared by successful business people of all industries and professions.
- Visual Content is King! by Melissa Harden – Visual content? Maybe this whole infographic thing isn’t just a cool trend, but a winning strategy!
- How to Tell Your Company’s Story by Veronica Maria Jarski – Last but not least, is one of my favorite finds of the year: Ms. Jarski’s infodoodles. This one happens to be about another of my faves: storytelling.
I hope you enjoyed and learned from these marketing articles as much as I did. Do you have any to add to this list? What were your favorites from this past year?